They looked beautiful…for about a week until the plants died from lack of water. (I do realize I could have watered them but I never quite felt like lugging the hose or a jug of water out there.) So, in anticipation of another outdoor season, and determined to NOT let two more plants die, I decided to make the planters into outdoor hanging lights. It seemed like a great idea but I had a heck of a time finding a lighting kit that I could plug in and that was rated for outdoor use. I ultimately abandoned my idea of outdoor hanging lights and moved on to Plan B, which is actually BETTER!
Plan B–to use the hanging planters in my mudroom to replace the existing hanging pendants–was free! and I get to enjoy them everyday, all year long. The exsisting mudroom pendants were fine, but one thing I HATE about them is that they are glass, and even after I take them down and wash them, they still look dirty/dusty.
Like I said, this was a quick and easy change. I started by shutting off the power to the mudroom at the breaker box. Then I removed the lightbulb and glass shade, leaving the pendant cord.
I removed the canopy and unhooked the light fixture completely from the ceiling. This is actually very easy and you can find several resources on-line to help you with the process. JUST BE SURE THE POWER TO THE FIXTURE IS COMPLETELY OFF AT THE SOURCE. I’m not going to describe the steps I took in too much detail because A.) I’m not an electrician and B.) it is kind of boring to write and C.) you can Google it and find way better tutorials than I can provide.
The next step required quite a bit of elbow grease and honestly wasn’t very fun. The chain and the finial needed to be removed to make a hole to thread the pendant cord through. The metal of the planter was actually quite soft but the solder that was used to attach the finial was hard as a rock and very difficult to cut through. I had to use a screwdriver, a hack saw and tin snips to get the job done.
Once the finial was gone I threaded the cord through the planter, re-attached the wires, wound the excess cord into the canopy, and re-attached the canopy. I totally love the result!